Current:Home > reviewsUS appeals court finds for Donald Trump Jr. in defamation suit by ex-coal CEO Don Blankenship -Capitatum
US appeals court finds for Donald Trump Jr. in defamation suit by ex-coal CEO Don Blankenship
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 11:08:52
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — A federal appeals court rejected a bid Monday from former coal executive Don Blankenship, who argued that Donald Trump Jr. defamed him by calling him a “felon.”
The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Virginia, left in place a lower court’s ruling in West Virginia against Blankenship, the former CEO of Massey Energy. He served a year in prison on a misdemeanor charge after he was found guilty of conspiring to violate safety standards at a West Virginia mine before an explosion in 2010 that killed 29 men.
Blankenship sued the son of then-President Donald Trump after Donald Trump Jr. posted the comment in May 2018 on social media. The appeals court found that “the record fails to show that Trump, Jr. published his statement with actual malice.”
The appeals court previously affirmed a determination by a district court that CNN, Fox News and 14 other media outlets sued by Blankenship did not act with “actual malice” amid coverage of his unsuccessful 2018 U.S. Senate campaign, even if, it said, they failed to meet journalistic standards. The U.S. Supreme Court rejected Blankenship’s appeal in that case.
The high court also previously turned away Blankenship’s appeal of his misdemeanor conviction.
veryGood! (191)
Related
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Melania Trump is telling her own story — and again breaking norms for American first ladies
- What to know as Tropical Storm Helene takes aim at Florida
- Dolly Parton Has the Best Reaction After Learning She and Goddaughter Miley Cyrus Are Actually Related
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Will Hurricane Helene emerge like a monster from the Gulf?
- Mariska Hargitay Says She Has Secondary Trauma From Law & Order: SVU
- Ken Paxton sues Biden administration over listing Texas lizard as endangered
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Exclusive: Seen any paranormal activity on your Ring device? You could win $100,000
Ranking
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Meet Libra, the Zodiac's charming peacemaker: The sign's personality traits, dates
- Francis Ford Coppola’s ‘Megalopolis’ is one from the heart
- T.I. and Tameka Tiny Harris Win $71 Million in Lawsuit Against Toy Company
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Lawyers seek Supreme Court intervention hours before a Missouri inmate’s planned execution
- New Hampshire woman to plead guilty in the death of her 5-year-old son
- Second US death from EEE mosquito virus reported in New York, residents warned
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Fantasy football Start ‘Em, Sit ‘Em: 16 players to start or sit in Week 4
To read a Sally Rooney novel is to hold humanity in your hands: 'Intermezzo' review
Georgia high school football players facing charges after locker room fight, stabbing
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Tom Watson, longtime Associated Press broadcast editor in Kentucky, has died at age 85
Sean 'Diddy' Combs and his former bodyguard accused of drugging and raping woman in 2001
Tren de Aragua gang started in Venezuela’s prisons and now spreads fear in the US